Thursday, September 1, 2011

1st run in my truck

I made my 1st run in my good ol' 24.  It ran pretty well.  Air Conditioning worked like a champ, shifts just as smooth as I remember (all 10 gears!), nice smooth ride, its was a treat!  Ran shred to Waco, and came back to Tye, TX for a truck wash.  After sitting around for 2 months, it was dingy! 

Some stuff about Tye, TX:

Tye was originally called Hinds.  It took on the name Tye after the postmaster in 1902.  They must have thought a lot of their postmaster!!

During World War II in the 1940s, the Tye Field was built just South of the city for the Army Corps and served as Abilene's airport.  Today, it is known as Dyess Air Force Base!!  Dyess is a major bombing aircraft training facility and these huge planes can be seen taking off & landing every day. 

Today, Tye is the location of many oilfield companies and two major truckstops. 

I go to one of those truckstops nearly every day.  The name of it is the Wes-T-Go. 

This is a famous tower at the Wes-T-Go, it has been there since the 1950s and is still there today!!
The other one is Flying J, which is a corportate chain truckstop.  They have locations in almost EVERY state! 
Tye is also where one of our two truckwashes we go to is located.  Today, I had to wait on a moving truck (nicknamed 'bed buggers'), and a cattle truck (nicknamed 'bull wagon' or 'bull hauler') before I got washed. 

So, a little more about me!!  I went to school in Phoenix, Arizona and in Elfrida, Arizona.  My 4th grade teacher's name was Mrs. Bull at Elfrida Elementary School.  I started the 4th grade in 1988!!  (How many years ago was that?  I want you guys to do the math for me!!)  When I was in the 4th grade, I showed pigs in the local county fair in my 4-H club.  In 1988, my wife Kasey was starting the 6th grade at Midlothian Jr. High in Midlothian, TX only 30-40 miles from your school!  In 1988, Ronald Reagan was the US President, Rhianna was born in 1988, NBA'ers Kevin Durant & Derrick Rose were born in 1988, Enzo Ferrari (yes, the auto maker) passed away in 1988, Microsoft releases Windows 2.1 in 1988, Winter Olympics are held in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and the Summer Olympics are held in Seoul, South Korea in 1988. 

Okay, so I want to hear from you guys.  I want you guys to take a guess at how much my truck weighs empty.  Just the truck and an empty trailer.  I will take a picture of the empty scale out ticket tomorrow for you guys to see.  I'll give you a few hints: 

My truck is about 80,000 lbs fully loaded.  There's 2,000 lbs (pounds) in 1 ton, right.  Sooooo....

80,000/2,000 = 40 tons!

My truck alone without the trailer is about 24,000 lbs. 

24,000/2,000 = 12 tons!

You can guess in tons or pounds.  I will post my empty weight ticket tomorrow for all to see!!  I hope you guys are having a great week and learning a lot!!  --Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment