Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So long, truck #10!!

Truck #10 was good to me.  Only one bad spot was when they left the key on over the weekend & the batteries were dead but other than that - it ran like a champ.  I had it for 2 weeks even, I believe.  In those 2 weeks I put on about 6,500 miles on it.  That's enough miles for about 2 oil changes on a car!!  That's enough miles to go from Los Angeles to New York City then back to Los Angeles and then back to New York City!

I will have #24 tomorrow for my run to Waco.  I should have it the rest of the week.  I sure hope all of it's problems are taken care of!!

Okay, so I want you guys to take a look at the map!  I want to tell you about Cisco, TX.  Cisco is almost right in the middle between Snyder & Midlothian.  It's right on I-20.  Ever hear of the Hilton Hotels?  Well, the very first Hilton Hotel was in Cisco, TX.  It's where Conrad Hilton started the Hilton chain in 1919.  It's a big oil boom town.  It originally started in 1881 with a post office & store when the railroad came through.  A tornado nearly destroyed the town in 1893, but the Dallas mayor sent some people to help clean it up.  It's also the site of the 1927 Santa Claus Bank Robbery.  On Christmas Eve, a gang of 4 men (one of them obviously dressed as Santa) robbed a bank.  I hate to be the spoiler - the guys didn't get away.  It was a bloody gun battle, just like a western movie.  Cisco College is in Cisco, TX - a very affordable community college. 


Also, a year and a half ago I got stuck in a snowstorm there.  We were living in East Texas and were travelling to be with my family in Snyder.  A big ice & snow storm hit and we got stuck in Ranger, TX.  We slowly made it to Cisco and it was about Midnight.  There was a church that had opened a shelter and I slept in the truck while it was idling while my wife (pregnant with Lindsey at the time) slept in the shelter.  We woke up Christmas morning still stuck but we put the truck in 4x4 and eased down the road.  The roads were a mess but after hours on the road, we finally made it there on Christmas afternoon. 


I also like to park at a place between a pretty good mexican food restaurant and a carwash when I need a nap sometimes.  It's very quiet and off the highway.  It's well lit so it's safe. 

I hope your week is going well.  It's starting to storm here, so that's my post for the night.  I need to turn this off before the power goes out!!  Until next time...  --Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment