Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Quick Blog

Howdy!  Today was a quick run to Waco.  I got news my routine is going to change the rest of this week.  I'll be running to Midlothian, TX starting EARLY morning Wednesday.  I will be taking short iron/steel in to meet our company's quota. 

I am still in Truck #10.  I wasn't able to get a picture, so I'm going to try my hardest to get it for the next blog! 

Soooo.... since we decided to do a detailed history of certain towns, I picked one out.  I've been going through this town twice a day & seeing a sign that says "Clifton, Norwegian Capital of Texas".  I decided to go online & look a few things up about Clifton, TX. 

Clifton was settled in the Winter of 1852 by four families who called thier town Cliff Town after a natural limestone cliff nearby.  It has gradually evolved to Clifton.  In 1880, the local railroad built a station 1 mile South of Clifton and the town grew towards the rail station.  In the late 1860s, a group of Norwegians who immigrated to the United States settled in the area.  Today, every 1st weekend in December the town has a Norwegian Country Christmas Tour.  There is a festival with food, a carnival, and other traditions are carried out. 

Today, Clifton (which is the Bosque County) is the biggest city in the county.  Bosque County is the county right next to Waco.  Clifton's population is around 3,500 people.  It's economy is served by farming, ranching, limestone (calcium), and hunting.  Notable Residents:  Zach Duke (pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks), Brad Winchester (hockey player for the Aniheim Mighty Ducks), and Bobby Joe Conrad (former Dallas Cowboys & Texas A&M football player). 

When I go through Clifton in the Winter, the town puts out all kinds of Christmas lights!  I think most of that is for the Norwegian Country Christmas. 

I hope you guys are having a great week!  --Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment