Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Got my truck back

Well, I actually drove my assigned truck today.  It was almost strange!  It was pretty dirty from having lots of different mechanics and tow truck drivers in and out of it.  It did sit around for nearly 2 months after all!  I put over $500 in diesel fuel in it and drove to our Sweetwater yard and hooked up it's assigned trailer.  I left it for Rudy to get loaded.  I will head back out Thursday morning around 3:00 or 4:00 AM for Waco.  I just hope everything that was wrong with it (which was a LOT) is fixed.  It has a new turbo, air compressor, air dryer, motor mounts, head gasket, cab air bag, air solenoid valve, and EGR valve.  I saw the bill.  It's about $7,500 worth of work!! 

I was at the yard working today.  Really, it was just piddling around.  I worked on some of the trucks and trailers replacing lights that had burned out, putting conduit on exposed wiring, and other odd & end things I could.  I was all done by 2:00 PM today.  I got home and worked on some pipe I have for some fence I'm rebuilding at the farm.  Since we don't have any cows right now, it's the perfect time to work on bad spots in the fence.  It got up to 105 degrees and I gave up and went inside.  I was almost out too long!  I was sure very hot.  That's a good thing to remember.  If you're ever outside too long and you stop sweating - GO INSIDE!!  I stopped sweating and that's a sure sign you're close to getting heat stroke.  I drank three big glasses of water and sat by the air conditioning vent and watched some King of Queens re-runs. 

This evening, we went to Sonic and got some supper.  We ordered Lindsey a corndog.  We didn't know what to expect.  Turns out:  she's a BIG fan of corn dogs!! 

Lindsey's 1st corndog.  Eating it like a champ!
Sippy cup drink a little upside down, but it gets the job done. 
I found some pictures from my sister from our weekend with my parents!  Here we go:


My parents.  Shellie & Roy Walker
Adam (my brother-in-law) riding Grumpy.  I'm holding Lindsey in her pigtails & I'm riding Duke.  Duke is a buckskin colored horse.  Grumpy is a bay colored horse.
The girls swimming.  My sister's girls (left to right) Emilie, Aubrie, and then my baby Lindsey.  Looks refreshing, huh?  I really wanted to join them, but that would have looked pretty silly.  They might have gotten mad at me!
The girls playing inside.  (Left to Right) Aubrie, Lindsey, and Emilie. 
We sure had fun out there.  One day, you guys will have your own kids and you will see your parents transition into Grandparents.  It's really a cool thing to happen to our families!  Our families are the one thing we will always have in our lives.  It's always good to hang out with our families.  So, do me a favor:  go home and give your mom or your dad or your grandma or grandpa a great big hug!  (Since I can't do that every day - my mom lives 4-5 hours away!)

Okay, so back to trucking.  I got myself a few new log books since we start a new month tomorrow.  It's going to be September already, can you believe it?  We have to start a new log book every month.  I grabbed an extra one for you guys & I will get it in the mail to you very soon along with a road atlas.  It has a map of all of our states and even close up maps of bigger cities. 

I also got a package in the mail from Trucker Buddy International!  They are the group that is overseeing this pen-pal type program of students learning about things from truck drivers.  They sent me some stickers for my truck.  I am going to send one to you guys. 

Well, off to bed!  I have a big day tomorrow.  I kind of have to move back into my truck.  Put my clean bed sheets back on my bed, put my hard hat, gloves, safety vest, log book, notepad, xm radio, broom, cleaning supplies, spare glasses, and some other things back in it!  I hope you guys are having a great 2nd week of school.  --Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment