Monday, April 30, 2012

1 year with the company

So, I've been with my company for 1 year now.  This is the 2nd time I've worked for them, though.  So, I've actually been with them longer.  But 1 year the 2nd time around!  I took a look at my mileage log and thought I would add up how many miles I've gone in the past year.  Are you ready for this? 
Happy 1 year!
126,000 + miles.  So, how far can you go with that?  That's about 5 trips around the planet earth if you could drive it.  1 trip is 24,860 miles.  That's halfway to the moon.  A trip to the moon 1-way is 238,857 miles.  My pickup truck has almost enough miles to have driven to the moon.  It has ~185,000 miles.  (~ means about or around or approximately)  It's about 40 round-trips to New York City, NY. 
Typical car odometer.  It counts how many miles your car has gone!  Next time you're in the car with your parents, see how many miles are on their car?  Think it's more than 700,000??
So, the next question I get when it comes to mileage & trucking is how many miles are on those trucks?  My truck has about 700,000 miles on it.  That's enough for a round-trip to the moon & back.  Most trucks start having major mechanical issues after about a million miles.  Yes, many trucks out on the road have over a million miles on them.  The most I've seen on a truck is over 2 million miles.  That truck had to have major engine work on it at a little over a million but it was going strong. 
This one is very close to 1 million!
Our trucks average about 60,000 miles per year at our company.  I'm at the top of that curve since I go out more than any of our other drivers.  We have other trucks that sit a lot more than mine do.  It's also why I experience more problems with my truck.  I use it more & put more miles on it! 
Trucks getting engine work done.
My pickup truck has about 185,000 miles on it.  My wife's car has 160,000 miles.  We put a lot of miles on our car because we live in the country & we travel a lot.  High miles are okay as long as you take care of the powertrain (that's the auto industry's fancy term for the engine & transmission).  My truck is a diesel, so it can go much higher.  My last diesel pickup had 280,000 miles on it.  So, mine has a ways to go.  The highest mileage pickup my dad ever owned had 600,000 miles on it.  But it as on it's 3rd engine & had it's transmission rebuilt at least twice.  That's a lot for a gas engine!
I hope you guys are having a great week so far!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment