Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tire Trouble & Barn Fire

Well, right after my blog about Ranger, TX - I have a flat tire in:  Ranger, TX.  I went to the Love's tire shop and luckily they were open all night.  I had to buy 1 used tire and had it installed that evening.  I visited with the driver in front of me.  He was hauling a load of lettuce from Yuma, AZ to New York City, NY!!!  That is a long ol' way!!!  It was going to take him 4 1/2 days.  A lot of drivers coming from the produce areas go through Texas this time of year so they stay out of the snow & ice up North of here. 


Love's tire barn & service truck
If you have an atlas, you can see Yuma, AZ would take Interstate 8 to Casa Grande, AZ, then I-10 through Tucson, AZ, New Mexico & El Paso, TX.  I-20 near Van Horn, TX, I-30 in Fort Worth to I-40 in Little Rock, Arkansas.  I-40 through Memphis, TN, Nashville, TN, Knoxville, TN.  I-81 near Dandridge, TN through Virginia, West Virginia, to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  I-78 towards New York City.  There are several different ways to get into New York City. 
George Washington Bridge at night
Holland Tunnel is VERY busy and not truck friendly.  But, it puts you right into Manhattan from New Jersey.

Lincoln Tunnel.  Not at all truck friendly.  Mostly commuters into NYC from New Jersey. 

George Washington Bridge is the most popular.  See Central Park in the bottom right?
I've been to New York City once.  I was probably your age.  I flew to Providence, Rhode Island to visit my Uncle that lived in Gale's Ferry, Connecticut.  Funny name, huh?  We took a bus into New York City and visited lower Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, and went down Wall Street.  It was VERY different from where I grew up in Arizona!!  But, it was very cool to see.  I would like to go again, but I would want to see so much.  I would definately want a good friend to help me with some of the better places to see!  I have two friends that live in the city.  I would definately want their help! 

Barn Fire.  Yup, I had a barn fire.  We have this big barn.  Well, we HAD this big barn.  It was probably 200 feet long by 50 feet wide.  It was about 25 feet tall.  I had all of my spare parts, tires, tools, lawn equipment, chains, man things inside of it.  Well, on Saturday - it was just Lindsey & I.  Mrs. Walker was at a ladies' retreat.  I was about to go to bed a little after 10pm and suddenly my power went out.  I went to go put on my boots to see what was going on & I see my barn on fire!!! 

The fire department and power company came out and put the fire out.  The barn is totally destroyed.  Nearly all of it is on the ground.  Only a few poles are left standing.  The power company got power restored and things got back to normal.  They think it was started by high winds and a bad electrical box or power line connection to the barn. 
View IMAG0881.jpg in slide show
A close up of the damage.

View IMAG0885.jpg in slide show
What's left of the barn.
So, what to learn about this?  If you have power going to something that hasn't been used in a long time, disconnect it.  Also, have an electrician check your elecrical boxes every now & then to make sure everything looks good.  Loose lugs make your box very hot and can cause a fire.  A simple check with an infared camera can sure help.  Also, if a qualified electrician says something needs replaced soon, make sure it is done!  It could save your property and even a life! 


Don't be like this guy!  Be safe around electricity!
Things can be replaced.  But lives cannot.  So make sure you guys are safe!  I hope you are having a great week.  The mill is down right now, so I am hauling pipe locally.  It sure is easy but can be a pain when having to wait to get loaded for a few hours.  Take care of yourselves! 

--Mr. Walker


Some of our old oilfield pipe we haul & sell.


No comments:

Post a Comment