Friday, January 27, 2012

Ranger, Texas

So, I thought I would update the map with some facts about a town I go through!  Ready to hear about Ranger, Texas?


Ranger started out as a camp for..... The Texas Rangers (law enforcement guys) that would train there.  Just like almost every town in Texas, it was formed when the railroad came through in 1880.  Ranger is also home to Texas' 3rd oldest airport.  Amelia Earhart landed at it at one time!  The discovery of oil in the area is was really put Ranger on the map.  Ranger got up to nearly 30,000 people in town at it's peak.  They also had massive flooding at that same time & really made a big mess there in Ranger. 


Old picture of Ranger during the oil boom
When the boom settled down, farming took over.  Peanuts, wheat, goats, cattle & hay are the major Ag products that helped Ranger out.  Ranger college was established in the 1970s and today is known as a good junior college sports college.  Around 2,000 people call Ranger home today. 


Ranger College football
Ranger is just off of I-20 to the North.  You can't really see it well from the interstate, but at night - you can see the lights of it.  There's a Love's truckstop in Ranger but I don't stop there much at all.  I use the tire shop there from time to time, but probably only twice in the past 8 months. 


Love's truckstop in Ranger, TX.  I have only bought a tire there twice.  Fuel & tires are expensive and service is slow.
There's also Ranger hill.  Ranger hill is one of the bigger hills you will go up on Interstate 20 in Texas.  When there's snow or ice, it is famous for shutting down.  There is a lot of criticism over how they don't spread salt on it in a proactive manner and it stays shut down a lot.  There's also a lot of accients on that hill as well.  Even without snow or ice.  I usually get slowed down to about 60 going up Ranger hill.  I slow way down and go down a gear when going down it so I don't go too fast.  Coming from the mountain West, Ranger hill is pretty small and silly to me and I have to agree it could be taken care of better by the highway department, but I can't worry about it too much. 


Exit before Ranger hill with traffic shut down during a little bit of snow.
Ranger is at exits 349, 351 and 354.  It's about an hour's drive from where your school is!  I hope you guys are having a good week!

--Mr. Walker


Gotta go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment